Pregnant women often experience lower back and hip pain during pregnancy, especially in the final trimester, as they must change their posture to accommodate their growing belly. Luckily, relief can come with a quick visit to your chiropractor. Although you may question whether spinal adjustments during pregnancy are safe, think of it as a type of physical therapy that can reduce spinal nerve stress. In fact, all licensed chiropractors learn in their training about how to safely perform adjustments on pregnant women.
Some of the main benefits of chiropractic for pregnant women include:
- It treats pain: As many as half of pregnant women experience lower back pain, as the weight of their uterus pulls their back into a deep curve, causing back and hip pain. Prenatal chiropractic appointments can gently restore your back’s natural curve to ease the pull on your spine and supporting muscles.
- It eases migraines: The constant hormonal changes in pregnancy can trigger intense headaches, even in women who have never had one before. Most medication to treat migraines is not safe during pregnancy, but a prenatal chiropractic adjustment could be an effective treatment for migraine pain.
- It is beneficial to the baby-to-be: A poorly aligned pelvis can restrict the space available for the developing fetus, and make it hard for the baby to be born in the best position. Babies born in non-optimal positions (such as feet-first, known as a breech birth) have longer, more complicated deliveries, and are at risk for birth defects.
- It can flip a breech baby: Babies have the best chance of moving into the optimal, rear-facing, head-first position for birth when the mother has a properly balanced pelvis. The Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics found an 82% success rate in turning babies head-down when a chiropractor used the Webster technique to flip a breech baby.
- It may prevent a C-section delivery: Research shows how consistent chiropractic care during pregnancy may help women avoid a C-section delivery. A specific method called the Webster technique can safely manipulate the spine to adjust a woman’s balance and function of her pelvis. It can also alleviate tense muscles that would prevent the baby from assuming a downward-facing head for vaginal delivery.
Is Chiropractic Safe During Pregnancy?
In general, it is safe to visit a chiropractor any time during an entire pregnancy. Speaking to your doctor can help you decide if you’d like to schedule an appointment with your local chiropractor. Your obstetrician can advise you if you are a good candidate, but most women are, except those who experience vaginal bleeding, ruptured amniotic membranes, placenta previa, placenta abruption, ectopic pregnancy, toxemia, sudden onset pelvic pain, and cramping.
Book Your Chiropractic Appointment Today
If you’re pregnant and experiencing back pain, you may wonder what your options are for relief besides gritting your teeth and bearing it, and maybe a heating pad for good measure. You don’t have to suffer, though. Chiropractic may be just what you need to feel better and maintain a healthier, happier pregnancy so you can enjoy your growing bump rather than counting down the days until you give birth.
Contact us at QualCare Rehabilitation and Allied Medical Centers today by calling (713) 588-0042 to discuss chiropractic for pregnant women.